Saturday, October 19, 2013

Mount Tsuru - Bonus Pillow!

Remember my Mount Tsuru quilt from the last post? I used Janice's (Better Off Thread) Moda bake shop tutorial called Sunnyside diamond zig-zag. The tutorial is easy to follow. But, hypothetically, if you do not follow the directions correctly (maybe because you did not read ALL of the directions before you started cutting) you get to turn the mistake into a beautiful bonus pillow:

I turned my oops block into this pillow and used some Essex linen in flax for the back. 


Want to learn how I quilted this baby??

I actually used straight line quilting with my walking foot. I quilted the front and back with this same design. Quilting how to:

1. I cut out a petal shape from a piece of paper and traced it onto the pillow top four times (black lines below). Then I stitched over the line following the arrows.
2. Then I quilted inside each of the petals (pink lines below) echoing the first quilting line until I filled the petal.
3. Last I echo quilted outside the black lines until I filled up the rest of the pillow top (blue lines).

I'll address any questions you have about the quilting how to in the comments and please let me know if you try it out!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the super-easy-to-understand quilting diagram. That is a quilting tutorial I can understand and absorb! And we all know I love my walking foot. I think this pillow is so amazing and something almighty somewhere in the universe causes quilters to make dumb mistakes so that the mistakes can become super-amazing bonus pillows like this.

    ReplyDelete